Vacancy for Animal Manager
The Lao Conservation Trust for Wildlife (LCTW) is currently seeking an interested individual to join us in Laos in the role of Animal Manager.
The Lao Conservation Trust for Wildlife is a wildlife conservation, education and rescue centre which is a registered charity in both Laos and the UK, we are currently the only all-inclusive species rescue centre in Lao PDR. Our main mission is to conserve Laos’ extraordinary biodiversity and combat the illegal wildlife trade, through many different programmes.
The LCTW is currently at an exciting stage of development. Here, the successful candidate will be involved in our programmes ranging from conservation initiatives, infrastructure and policy development, volunteer engagement, rescued wildlife rehabilitation and education programmes. This includes work with our local staff and volunteers, all of whom are working towards the overall development and growth of the LCTW site and the wider conservation of fauna in Laos.
Our site is a beacon and focal point of conservation efforts in Lao PDR.
We house around 500 animals, mostly native to South-east Asia of varying taxa, these include Large Mammals, a variety of Primates, Ungulates, Reptiles, Birds and Small Mammals.
The LCTW is committed to conservation on both a regional and global scale, we are working alongside other wildlife organisations and the Lao government to aid in biodiversity conservation efforts.
The role of Animal Manager is a hands-on role, working in our centre with rescued wildlife. You will have an active role in rehabilitating rescued wildlife, this includes the management of daily husbandry and husbandry staff onsite. You will also be involved in other projects such as wildlife infrastructure development, construction and maintenance projects, as well as some administrative duties.
Planning and implementation of projects onsite is a large part of this role, initiative and creativity is encouraged, to provide our wildlife with the best possible standard of care, you will be encouraged to expand the scope of this role.
The candidate will become an active member of our management team, overseeing the push forward in the ongoing development of the infrastructure inherited from the Lao Zoo, whilst bringing/keeping all aspects of husbandry, enrichment and rehabilitation to best practice standards.
Administrative duties include HR responsibilities, communicating with current and potential new partners in all of their forms and managing our sundries, food and office supply orders, among other duties.
The role will evolve and grow as the successful candidate develops with it, initiative and self-motivation is very much encouraged.
Overall, this role will suit a candidate with a varied range of expertise with wildlife husbandry, a confident decision maker used to managing people and someone who is willing to push themselves to help us progress to our goals.
• Previous experience of managing wildlife in a captive setting
• Previous experience of managing ba team
• Varied wildlife taxa experience
• Computer literacy with a good understanding of Microsoft programmes and cloud software
• Excellent communication and reporting skills
• Full driving license from your native country
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Experience of public speaking, such as public talks and tours
• A high level of understanding of working safely and leading others to work safely with wildlife
• Willing to commit to at least 1 year to this role, after a 3-month probationary period
• Creative individual
• The ability to be both self-motivated and a team player
• Willing and able to work in challenging conditions and be culturally sensitive
• Experience working with South-east Asian wildlife
• Experience of living rurally with a small amount of amenities
• Knowledge and previous usage of ZIMS or a similar online records system (ARKS, SPARKS, MedARKS)
• An understanding of fundraising in the non-profit wildlife sector
• Basic understanding of a working Vet clinic/Vet department
• Some Lao and/or Thai language skills
• PR skills
Onsite accommodation, with 2 cooked meals per day and breakfast supplies will be provided with the role. This role offers 1.5 days off per week, a competitive regional salary with paid holidays, plus Lao national holidays. The LCTW will provide the successful candidate with a 1 year rolling business visa, all business travel expenses and a Lao driving license, after a 3-month probationary period.
Our base centre is located in Ban Keun, around a 1 hour drive north of Vientiane, the capital of Lao PDR. We are fairly rural, however our local town has various basic amenities such as pharmacies, markets and ATMs.
We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible, shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a Skype interview, as soon as their application has been reviewed.
Does this sound like your dream job? If you would like to help us conserve and rescue wildlife in Laos, please send your CV along with a covering letter to [email protected]
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.