Vacancy for Wildlife Veterinarian
The Lao Conservation Trust for Wildlife is currently seeking an interested individual to join our onsite Veterinary team as a full time Wildlife Veterinarian.
The Lao Conservation Trust for Wildlife is the first and only non-profit wildlife conservation and all-inclusive species rescue centre which is registered in Laos.
As a registered foundation in Laos, we work to conserve Laos’ biodiversity by continuing to work with the Lao government authorities, community projects and education, along with our sanctuary, rescue, rehabilitation, release and conservation initiatives.
The LCTW is currently at an exciting stage of development. Here, the candidate will be involved with the Rescue, Rehabilitation and Release of confiscated and donated animals from the illegal wildlife trade. We provide the highest standard of life-long sanctuary for those who are not suited for release and we aid in transitioning the old Lao Zoo into a world-class non-profit centre for the conservation of wildlife.
Our site is now a beacon and focal point of conservation efforts in Lao PDR.
We house around 500 animals, mostly native to South-east Asia of varying taxa, these include Large Mammals such as Bears, Elephant and Leopard, a variety of Primates, Ungulates, Reptiles, Birds and Small Mammals including wild Canine and Feline species.
The LCTW is committed to conservation on national, regional and global scales, we are working alongside other wildlife organisations and the Lao government to aid in biodiversity conservation efforts.
Our education programmes utilise our unique placement in Laos to provide access to knowledge for Lao people on how they can help to conserve Laos’ incredible biodiversity.
As Wildlife Veterinarian, you will be working with one other Veterinarian and reporting to and working with the Directors, to oversee the overall health and welfare of all the animals under LCTW’s care.
The team consists of two full-time Veterinarians, one of whom will be the successful applicant, with volunteer and student Veterinarians and Vet Nurses supporting the team.
You and our existing Veterinarian will be responsible for the management of our onsite Wildlife Hospital. This includes the upkeep of equipment, supplies and stock checks of all medical sundries and help to develop and expand the facilities of our Wildlife Hospital, for the future. You will be encouraged to play an active role in the development of the Wildlife Hospital and animal care, this can include fundraising and grant applications, for example.
When required, you will join our 24/7 Rescue Team on confiscation and rescue missions with the Lao government, provide emergency care to rescued wildlife and be involved in the rearing of orphaned infants from the illegal wildlife trade, whenever necessary.
- A degree in Veterinary Science/Medicine
- Fluency in English - both written and spoken
- Previous working experience in animal medicine
- Previous experience of performing a variety of surgical procedures
- Must be comfortable living and working in a rural setting
- Full driving license from your native country, ideally manual transmission
- Able to commit to at least 1 year within this role, upon completion of probationary period
- Self–driven, able to work in challenging conditions and be culturally sensitive
- Ability to make empirical decisions/diagnoses if all desirable equipment is not available
- Previous experience of working in a Wildlife Hospital and/or rehabilitation centre
- Experience with and knowledge of South-east Asian Wildlife
- Firearms licence in your native country
- Experience with immobilising equipment, such as dart guns and blowpipes
- Some Lao and/or Thai language skills
- An understanding of fundraising within the non-profit wildlife sector
- Previous experience of using ZIMS or a similar online records system (SPARKS, ARKS, MedARKS)
Onsite accommodation in the form of one private room, with 2 cooked meals per day and breakfast supplies will be provided with the role. This role offers one day off per week, a competitive regional salary with paid holiday days, plus all national holidays. The LCTW will provide the successful candidate with all visa and travel expenses during a three-month probationary period, with a 1 year rolling business visa provided upon completion of this. Candidates are expected to commit to the duration of their working visa, this can be renewed for each additional year of service.
Our base centre is located in Ban Keun, around a one-hour drive north of Vientiane, the capital of Lao PDR. We are fairly rural however, our local town has various amenities such as pharmacies, markets, shops, ATMs, a local resort and pool to spend time on days off and regular, affordable public transport options to Vientiane City.
We are looking to fill this position as soon as possible, suitable candidates will be contacted for a Skype interview. Therefore, this is an open-ended vacancy.
Does this sound like your dream job? If you would like to help us conserve and rescue wildlife in Laos, please send CV along with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.