Helping to establish Laos’ first non-profit Wildlife Conservation Foundation and Wildlife Rescue Centre
There are over 500 animals at the Lao Conservation Trust for Wildlife (LCTW) including many species of Macaques, Gibbons, Bears, Slow Loris, Birds, Crocodiles, Deer, Turtles, Tortoises and Civets, as well as Elephants, Binturongs, Leopard Cats, Leopards and many, many more. Your main focus as a volunteer is to keep a high standard of animal welfare and help build up our Wildlife Rescue Centre so we can keep up with the ever increasing number of animals in need of rescue from the illegal wildlife trade. This is a huge and challenging task, we need your help to make this happen!
Depending on the volunteer programme you choose, the main daily tasks at the LCTW can be extremely varied day to day.
The programmes we offer are;
- Wildlife Husbandry and Enrichment programme – Come to our centre and get hands on with our wildlife’s daily care in our sanctuaries, rehabilitation programmes and our Lao Zoo project. See the direct impact you make on their lives first hand and look after some of Asia’s most unique and interesting animals.
You and your fellow volunteers will be assisting with the husbandry duties of wildlife, enrichment and getting involved with the refurbishment and new developments of projects at the centre, this is all in a days’ work as a volunteer at LCTW!
No previous wildlife experience need, though professionals are also welcome. Please let us know if you hold any previous wildlife experience.
- Veterinary Intern programme – Are you a Veterinarian looking for some experience with wildlife or a final year/placement student? Come and help us in our Wildlife Hospital, shadow our experienced wildlife Veterinarians and gain experience in a variety of procedures and techniques with a huge variety of wildlife. Be prepared to be kept on your toes, no day is the same for our Vet team. At any time, we could go on a call out for a huge confiscation of wildlife, receive donated wildlife at our gates or have an animal which needs critical veterinary attention in our centre. We also encourage individuals to get stuck into their own research project at the centre.
To ensure that all individuals get the most out of their experience here at the centre, places for this programme are generally limited to 1 individual at a time. If you wish to come as a group, please email us for further details.
- Vet Nurse programme - Are you a Vet Nurse looking for some experience with wildlife or a placement student? At our Wildlife Hospital, we have full time Veterinarians who you can aid in their work. Work with our Veterinarians with all inpatient and outpatient care, surgical procedures and the husbandry of wildlife under the Vet team’s care.
Be prepared to be kept on your toes, no day is the same for our Vet team. At any time, we could go on a call out for a huge confiscation of wildlife, receive donated wildlife at our gates or have an animal which needs critical veterinary attention in our centre.
To ensure that all individuals get the most out of their experience here at the centre, places for this programme is generally limited to 1 individual at a time. If you wish to come as a group, please email us for further details.
- Animal-based studies students – Are you working towards an animal or conservation-based qualification? We are open to take students who are looking to work on projects regarding wildlife, husbandry or conservation. Would your project benefit the wildlife under our care or aid their conservation? If so, send us an email and explain your proposal. Here at LCTW, we encourage new developments in research regarding our wildlife and their conservation.
- Professional donation of talent – Are you a professional who would like to donate your talents to help us in our fight to protect wildlife? Whether you are a professional/qualified Graphic Designer, PR, Illustrator, Photographer, Animal Nutritionist/Behaviourist, Website Designer, Filmmaker or have a particular skill/profession which you think could aid us, get in touch! Tell us how you could help us.
For any and all volunteer enquires email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The centre would not be able to run without the hard work of the volunteers and the generosity of those who provide financial support in the way of donations. The financial contribution you make as a volunteer pays for all your food and onsite accommodation, with the rest going directly towards animal care. Short and long-term volunteering stays are possible; the minimum stay is one week and can be extended from there. To volunteer with us, you must be able to speak a good level of English and have a great working attitude.
As the Lao Conservation Trust for Wildlife is about 60 kilometers north of the capital Vientiane, we can arrange transportation from the capital to our project.
We also support group bookings, school trips, and special one-off projects, to find out more about what we can offer or for a copy of our detailed Volunteer Guidebook, please email email@example.com